Here’s what you can expect in your CSA share from Senkos Farm this week:
- Dragon beans
- Green beans
- Walla Walla onions
There’s nothing quite like green beans with almonds, parsley and a touch of parmesan. recipe below modified from https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015483-pan-roasted-green-beans-with-golden-almonds
Pan Roasted Green Bean Ingredients
- 8 ounces green and/or wax beans, trimmed
- ¼ cup blanched whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 small walla walla onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add salt (a teaspoon or so, or to taste). Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Add the green beans to the boiling water and cook until bright green but still firm, about 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to the ice water. When cool, drain again. Pat dry with paper towels until completely dry.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the almonds and the oil, adding more oil if needed to just cover the almonds. Cook over medium heat until the almonds are golden, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the walla walla onion. It will cook in the residual heat.
- Coat a large skillet with oil. Heat over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add the beans and season with salt. Cook, tossing frequently, until charred dark brown in spots and tender-crisp, about 7 minutes.
- Top with the almond mixture, then the parsley and parmesan. Grate the zest from a quarter of the lemon directly over the beans, then cut the lemon into wedges for serving. Season with pepper and serve.